Friday, July 5, 2019

UNSTOPPABLE


Have you ever been stopped from spreading the good news?

When my father received from me the news that I would be ordained as a priest, he immediately went around our neighborhood and spread the news. He informed my uncles and aunts, and his compadres on the farm. I was informed about this a day after, and I called him to stop spreading the news. I was shy in letting people know about this great gift and honor I was about to receive. My father replied with silence. And I took that as a gentlemen's agreement between us. A day after I called, I was informed that he continued to spread the news about my ordination. I let him be. 

Good news is uncontainable. One feels compelled to share it. This is evident in numerous social media posts and shout-outs announcing that they had passed the board exam; that she finally said yes to the marriage proposal; that he had achieved his lifegoal of opening a restaurant, etc. The list of good news goes on and on. People are unstoppable from spreading them, like my father.  

In the Acts of the Apostles (5:27-33), the apostles, led by Peter were apprehended by the chief priests and authorities from preaching about Jesus. How can the apostles stop in preaching about Christ, when they were so convinced by what they preach? They were merely obeying God: "We must obey God rather than men." The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus are a great manifestation of God's love for man. His words, which were realized by His deeds, should persuade them about the authenticity of His message and identity. And they were strengthened by the Holy Spirit to do so. How can they be stopped from doing so when this encounter with Jesus had changed their life; when it had become the very principle that governed their life!?

How can a believer, like the apostles stop preaching this good news!? We found true life in believing and obeying God. Our encounter with Jesus changes our life for good. We truly live and spread the good news by imitating Jesus who obeyed the Father and served His needy brothers and sisters. This is what it means to believe in Him. The good news we received obliges us to live by it, and share it. Nothing can stop us from doing so except our unbelief. But there is no compelling reason not to believe in Him. He is risen from the dead, vanquishing sin and death, overcoming the deceptions and lies of Satan, the greatest foe of man since time in memoriam.

The Lord has risen. This is the best news! Live by it. Spread it.   


No comments:

Post a Comment