Friday, July 5, 2019

FROM THE BOAT TO THE SHORE


Have you worried or been in despair?

In the final years of my masteral studies, I was preparing for my thesis writing. I had an initial discussion on my thesis with a foremost historian in our Order. He was willing to be my adviser and was ready to assist me to complete the requirements for the degree. Everything was set until he received his appointment from the Curia as the new rector of our university in Rome. He would be away from the country for years. That jeopardized our plan. I knew the difficulties of long-distance mentoring. To aggravate the situation, he was no tech savvy. Communicating via emails would be problematic, if not impossible for us. As he left for Rome, I was worried about how I would be able to finish my studies. I could not think of another person who can assist me in my studies. After sending some emails to him, I received no replies. I was in despair. I prayed to God that I might be assisted in my studies. And suddenly, the news came that my would-be adviser could not assume the post abroad due to health reasons. Few weeks after, he went home. Though surprised by his condition, I was relieved of my worries. I gained back my adviser.    

We have worries in life. We worry about things that are unclear to us. We worry when we are in darkness. The apostles were in despair as to how to manage their growing number and demands of their ministry, so much so that widows and orphans had been left unattended (Acts 6:1-7). In that crisis, God enabled to identify a new ministry in the Church: the ministry of the diaconate. The disciples, on their way to Capernaum via boat, where tossed and buffeted by a storm. Jesus went to them, walking on water. He did not simply calm the storm. He brought them to the safety of the shore.  We may have thousands of reasons to worry in life but we are not to succumb to despair. We have a merciful God. He will deliver us from darkness to light; from worries to certainty. If only we trust in Him, our worries will be made clear, in His perfect time, in His seamless way.

As we embark in our missions where God is sending us, we would experience storms. Our boats we so patiently built, and with which we have relied so much on, will be buffeted by raging winds. The boats we built will prove to be useless in the face of challenges greater than ourselves. We can only reach our destination with God's help and mercy, which is greatest among us, greater than any problem.

From the boat to the shore; more than calming the storms, God brings us to more certain grounds; to the completion of our mission. 


No comments:

Post a Comment