Saturday, July 13, 2019

THE FAVORED ONE


When we were young, my mother used to buy milk for only one of my elder brothers. That particular brother had received much attention from her whom she gave nutritious food and the most coveted sterilized milk. I was jealous of my brother for the attention he received from my mother. I thought she loved her more than me. I could not understand the reason why he had become my mother's favorite; after all, I am the youngest. Until later, as we grew older, I realized my elder brother had been too sickly at that time. He needed much attention from my mother to survive. And so he received a weekly ration of sterilized milk, while us, the strong ones, satisfy ourselves in looking at him while he drunk his milk bottoms up.    

In the Gospel (Jn 21:20-25), Peter seemed to be jealous of John, the youngest and beloved apostle of Jesus. Aside from John's closeness with Jesus, he seemed to receive another favor from Jesus: "What if I want him to remain until I come?" The other apostles understood this that John will not die. And truly John received a different end from the rest of the apostles. He alone, among the twelve, was not martyred. He died in his old age (93-94 years old) in Ephesus. Peter may have been left dumbfounded by Jesus statement about John. After all, he is the appointed leader, who had professed his love for Jesus. But God has a different plan for him.    

We may not understand fully the plan of God for us. Human as we are, we long to know the totality of anything to which we commit ourselves. But it is different in matters of faith that demand trust in God. Though we may not fully comprehend His will, we accept it; we believe in it, knowing that God will not push us to a clip of failures; ensured that He is laying things for the best.

God has different plans for every one of us. Though we are geared towards one goal (heaven), we may find ourselves bearing different crosses, treading different paths, growing in different paces. We are not to waste our energy in looking at what others have. We might miss whatever we have received from God. It is futile to look on others’ life and compare ours with theirs and afterward complain to the Lord for being unfair: Why is it that his cross is lighter than mine? Why did he get the best part, when I have given all my best for you? The Lord gives whatever is best for us. He plays no particular favorites in life. After all, we are all His favored ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment