Saturday, March 9, 2019

SAYING YES TO JESUS

What have we received after answering God's call? Yesterday, I literally spent my whole day, from 6 am to 9 pm outside my room, doing ministries: celebrating the Eucharist for a dead member of our community, lecturing on the life of St. Dominic to my brother postulants, accompanying our students in the Colegio in their Intramurals, and attending our community meeting. Many of the brothers today got various kinds of sickness, from brain tumors, cancers, heart ailments etc. after years of administering to various people in their different capacities in our apostolates. What have we received after answering God's call?

I remember, when I was discerning to enter the Order, a brother sent me a letter that says: If you say YES you cannot marry, but your life will be filled with love; You cannot keep wealth but your treasure will be immeasurable; You cannot have your own time but you will be fulfilled. It is a vocation slogan he borrowed from the OMI. It speaks of the reward that one will have as one responds to God's call to serve Him. Saying Yes to God is saying yes to a life of sacrifices; to a meaningful life. Though it may not be as relaxing as other ways of life, it is surely a rewarding one.

Like St. Peter, we too might say, "We have given up everything to follow you, Lord." Christ replies "You will be rewarded." In the midst of our difficulties, as we struggle to be faithful to our answer to God's call, God consoles us with the Joy brought by our ministries; joy brought about by the people we meet, students we accompany; the community (our brothers and sisters) whose presence is a treasure to hold on to. Our vocation is God's gift to us. It is itself our reward. It is also the greatest thing we can offer back to God for all the good things He has done for us.

As I lay my tired body on my bed, I immediately fell asleep. But I slept with a smile on my face, realizing how blessed I was to be God's instrument to His people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment