Tuesday, January 20, 2015

WITNESS OF THE KINGDOM

And this is the testimony of John. When the Jews from Jerusalem sent priests and Levites (to him) to ask him, "Who are you?"

A witness is expected to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. In the case of John the Baptist, he bore witness to the truth of his identity, when asked by the priests and the Pharisees. Gregory of Nazianzen, whose memorial we celebrate today, said ‘He (John) denied directly being what he was not, but he did not deny what he was: thus, by his speaking truth, becoming a true member of Him Whose name he had not dishonestly usurped’. 

Some times, I am asked who am I; my identity, my status in life, etc., may it be as a requirement for an application/resume or simply a tête–à–tête. Very seldom, however, that someone asked me about my religious vocation; the vow I professed, the life I strive to live, the essence of the life I live. Thus, I assumed the task of asking myself these questions on my vow and religious life. Who am I? If religious life is about witnessing of the Kingdom that is to come, how do I bear witness to this kingdom? Am I truthful to the vow I professed? 

Truthfulness is often associated with consistency. If you would like to find out the truth about a person, ask him several questions regarding a single topic. Should he be consistent with his answers, there is the probability that he is telling the truth. The KADAUPAN brothers are good in this. With the throngs of indigents who flock the seminary from time to time asking for help, and with a limited resources for them, those who are truly in need have to be identified. And the truth about them is made know through their consistency in answering questions regarding their case.

For over a year now, I have been going back to a watch boutique. I keep on looking at their display cases and the watches placed therein. I have been toying in my mind the idea of buying a watch from this boutique, however, I could not simply buy one. ‘I already have four watches, why buy another one?’ I ask myself. I could not bear to spend a couple of thousand pesos in a mall and return in Santo Domingo and be welcomed by beggars who almost literally have lived in the church portico. I could not spend those hard-earned money of siblings which they send to me for my caprices and whims, knowing that they are living in very meager way just to meet ends in our life. I could not spend the resources entrusted to me as its steward for not so important things, knowing that there are far more important things that can be procured. This year, perhaps, I would stop visiting this watch boutique so as not to tempt myself in buying another watch; so as to be truthful to the vow I professed and to the life I dared to embrace. 

Witnessing to the life God has chosen for us need not be done in grant and pompous way. Witnessing to the truth of our vocation can occur in small deeds we do every day. Witnessing to the Kingdom of God becomes truthful when it is live consistently with that of Christ, whom we seek to follow radically. It is only then that the way of the Lord is made straight to the heart, when the word of truth is heard with humility; the way of the Lord is made straight to the heart, when the life is formed upon the precept.

What does it mean to be a witness of  the Kingdoms of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment